Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Dreams.............

It’s been a bit since I have given myself to you. I have been spread thin. I am tired. Broke and lonely. It has been even longer since I have dreamed. These are not dreams. These are nightmares.......
 I have had horrible dreams lately about my mother. They all start so happy and innocent.

Then I'm speeding through dark dirty streets.
Naked and a mess.
Dirty and fucked up.
I think I'm about 7 or 8. Around the age when the rapes started. I have my dog with me but he is always by feet curled up in a ball. He never moves. Is he dead?
Suddenly the daylight is pushing through my eyes. I am lying on a beach. The dog is with me. He is still curled up in that same balled position. I am wearing a Speedo bathing suit. I still have grime all over my legs. I'm emaciated and sickly. There are naked fat men everywhere, clucking around the beach, they remind me of chickens or seagulls. They are always touching themselves. I hear my mother call to me. She is angry. She is calling in the tone she would use to yell through my bedroom door, on Saturday mornings. She never just came in the room without asking permission. Did she respect my privacy or was she just scared to see what she thought she would she?

"John? John? Get up! What are you going to sleep the day away? You bum. Get up. I have to clean. I can’t was it around for you to grace me with your presence. You are such a little queen."

I'm still on the beach and here her saying, "...but they are such good looking boys. Why do they do that with each other? They could get any girl they want." I do not see her or the person she is talking too. I know it is my sister and we are vacationing in Cape Cod. One night we were in Provincetown and my mother was pointing out all the guys making out with each other. It really confused her. It really excited me. I also learned that I would not easily ever tell me mother I didn't like girls and I like boys.  
                                         
I think- why does she not understand they love each other. I am like them mom. I know it. I don’t want any damn girl! Mom, I want a boy!

 It's cold. The naked men are coming towards me. Circling me. They grope each other. They hug and kiss. They are fat and gross. Their fat shakes and jiggles. They are breathing heavy and very sweaty. Here comes Kacky (my mom’s nickname). She is screaming, “Stay away from him. He needs to come home and behave."

Flash.

I'm back in the car. She is driving. It’s our old Ford Gran Torino. Charlie is gone. My clothes are in a bag at my feet.
She is yelling at me. She says, "I'm dirty. I'm disgusting."
She asks, "Where did I learn such vile acts?"
She exclaims, "I will stay naked for a month and every time you touch it, I will hit your hand with a wooden spoon. We are Catholic and Catholics don't play with that!"
She shakes her head and yells, "You dirty little pig!"
Flash.
Its winter and we are driving by a cemetery.

"He is in there right, mom?"
"Yes. You know he loved you so much."
"No he didn't. He beat me up."
"He never touched a hair on your head. You are such a filthy liar."
"Yes he did. I hate him
"You are gonna go to Hell for saying such things about your father."
"So.  You are lying, too. You love him more than me. You love everyone more than me. I wish I was never born. You hate me."
"You're a little shit. Is that how you talk to your mother on New Year's Day? If he was here he would slap your mouth."
"Yeah. He would do more than that. He would take off his belt and keep swinging until I was too tired and hurt to cry."
Flash.
 Driving. Naked. Needles everywhere. Drugs all over the car. I can’t open my eyes. I'm drooling and puking.
My mother is chasing the car. Everyone is laughing.
"Please stop I want to go home. I don't want to be like this. Take me home."
You have no home. No one wants you. You’re dirty. You’re a mistake .You are a disgrace.
There is a moment of clarity. I'm happy. I walk out a door and there are flowers everywhere. She loved flowers. I think I'm at at Jan's farm.

Darkness...
I'm in the car again....speeding. Dope bags. Spoons. Needles are filling up the car. I am suffocating. Choking. I can't breathe.
The car crashes. I wake up.
I'm older.
And my mother’s dead.

I wake up. And I'm crying.
I'm crying now.


I called my good friend Jan about this dream this morning and she is in touch with the meta-physical way more than me and she has a totally different view and interpretation to these horrible memories revealing themselves in dreams and trickery over and over and over and over.

She believes that my mum is trying to apologize to me for not believing me or protecting me from my father. Jan feels that she is doing this through my dreams. It sounds nice and all but I am skeptical.

3 comments:

  1. I love this one. Your stark honesty jarring and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I dont have to try to be honest. I can't be any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I dont have to try to be honest. I can't be any other way.

    ReplyDelete